Another 48 Hours
Cuza Told Larry They Had a Deal
"His representatives led us to believe it (the Red Sox final offer to Pedro) was acceptable.
It was not." -- Larry Lucchino in phone conversation with CBS4's Bob Lobel
Dan Rather Posts Memo on SoSH with Late Details on Pedrogate (Email Hoax Travels Around the Net)
"John Henry wanted Pedro out" early, wants "all new players," micromanagement accusations
2005 Rotation: Sox Senior Tour
Now it Can Be Told: Pedro Could Have Started Game 5 in Cleveland in '99
Threw Saberhagen, Lowe to Wolves as Sox Pair Gave Up Eight Runs Early. O'Leary Saved Day.
(Boston Dirt Dogs Photo)
Martinez Agrees to Terms on 4-Year, $50M Contract with Metropolitans
Eight Years to the Day that Roger Clemens Bolted for Toronto,
Pedro Double-Crosses Sox and Heads South to New York
Theo: "We put our best foot forward and made an offer that makes sense to the club ($40.5 million, three-year deal that contained a club option for 2008). We think it's a fair and generous offer."
Lucchino: "He will be missed, and we are disappointed to have lost him to the Mets and the National League."Three Major League Sources Now Confirm Deal,
Sox Now Close with Renteria
Schilling to Nation: Trust in Theo
"Things change... this is a different market to play in. There were members of the press that he had a dislike for... I want Petey here... Trust that Theo a firm backup plan in place... If someone offered me a little bit more money and I'm somewhere I want to be, I'm going to stay where I can enjoy myself." -- Curt Schilling on Pedro to 7 News
"The Sox still haven't been informed Pedro is taking the Mets' offer, but they're proceeding as if he's gone. They're currently negotiating with Barry Meister, who has taken over doing Edgar Renteria's deal. And there were indications they could reach agreement with Renteria soon." -- Jason Stark, ESPN.com Insider
"I'm keenly disappointed he didn't take the last deal we offered him." -- Larry Lucchino to Buster Olny, ESPN The Magazine
Prima Goner Was All About the Money
Pedro Metinez Leaves Sox, Fenway for Shea
Four More Years: Minaya, Metropolitans Pay a Queens Ransom to Fragile Free-Agent Starter Pedro Marteamez
CBS4's Dan Roche on WBZ-1030: "It appears he is set to leave the Red Sox... this move has caught everyone by surprise."
ESPN's Crasnick Says Sox Going After Clement
Dec. 13 -- "Now that Pedro Martinez is moving closer to leaving Boston for the Mets and Carl Pavano is about to sign with the Yankees, the Red Sox have jumped back hard into the Clement sweepstakes, reports Insider's Jerry Crasnick. The level of interest in Clement could lift him out of the three-year, $21 million to $22.5 million realm inhabited by Jaret Wright, Jon Lieber and Kris Benson and bring him a three-year deal in the range of $8 million to $9 million annually."
Gammons Confirms Mets Offered 4-Year Deal, Pedro May Be Leaning NY Way
Dec. 13 -- ESPN radio per Peter Gammons reports that Pedro Martinez appears to be leaning towards the New York Mets as they have offered Martinez a 4 year guarantee in their most recent contract proposal.
ESPN.com's Jayson Stark also heard the Mets have guaranteed a fourth year on a contract offer to Pedro and there are indications Martinez is leaning toward accepting the deal. Martinez was close to deciding between the Red Sox and Mets, but the fourth year might make the decision for him.
Martinez, who previously has said his first choice is to remain with the Sox, wanted some last-minute additions before agreeing to a three-year deal worth at least $38.5 million plus $2 million in incentives to return to Boston. The Mets initially offered three years at $37.5 million plus a $12.5 million option for 2008.
It's Pay Day
Sox Within $350.60 of Signing Payro
Deal Could Be Struck Today, Or...
Martinez Holds Out for Every Last Dime.
MLB Source Calls Cuza/Martinez Weekend Behavior "Shameful."
Sox Trying to Move Manny Again?
(But he's only got like three toes in New York this time.)
NY Daily News: "Mets turn down Red Sox
offer of Manny for Floyd"
Delgado, Renteria, Piazza Names All Come Up
Catcher in the Nigh: Tek Signing Delayed; Giants Sign Matheny
Gammo a Go-Go...
to the Hall of Fame
(Globe Staff Photo)
Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Tour Now Rated PG as
the Kid's in the Hall
Bravo: Gammons to Go in with Globe Cap, Not ESPN
"...I work on a national stage, yet my heart is always in New England, and I like to think that I represent New England, which is why being only the second person from the area -- Harold Kaese was the other -- to be elected to the Hall means so much." -- PG to BDD